To ensure the success of the implant it is important to follow the instructions listed below during the 2-week healing period.
- Only light liquids (broth and juices) the day of surgery. It is important that no dairy products be consumed in the first 24 hours (only if you had general anesthesia). A mashed or bland diet may be added after the first day of surgery.
- Smoking can cause the implant to fail. Do not smoke for at least 4 to 7 days after surgery.
- Please use an extra pillow to elevate head slightly during the first 2 nights after surgery to reduce swelling in the implant area.
- Change the gauze every 2 to 3 hours for the first day. This will prevent any bleeding or collection of blood under the tissue. Apply ice to your face for the next 36 hours: 20 minutes on/20 minutes off.
- The day after surgery, rinse your mouth with warm salt water (½ teaspoon salt dissolved in 8 oz of warm water) after each meal and before bedtime.
- Your surgeon will let you know when it is time to resume wearing your dentures or partial.
- Should you have any questions related to what normal healing in the implant area is, contact your surgeon.
- Pain medication and antibiotics will be prescribed after surgery.
If you have questions or concerns, please call the office at (505) 988-2121.